Getting the best out of your architect
As a developer, cost and profit should be at forefront of mind so it’s important to select the best architect for your development and have clear lines of responsibility.
- Provide independent view to ensure compliance with building and planning regulations
- Optimise space management both in and outside of the property
- Make the best use of natural light and fulfill new guidelines (esp relevant for Permitted Development Rights)
- Help shoulder the stress of managing the build
- Recommend what materials to use to deliver the highest standard and the appropriate finish
- Recommendations for groundworks i.e. where to run pipes to save spending money unnecessarily on fittings
Choosing an architect
- Qualifications and experience. Examples of similar projects delivered
- References from previous clients on delivering against the brief
- Availability to work to your timescales
- Track record of managing processes with local authorities
- Does their portfolio match what you want from your development?
- Most architects offer a free initial consultation to discuss a project
- Some propose a fee as a percentage of the total project budget whilst others charge on a time basis
- Ideally aim for a fixed cost while carefully defining what’s included and not
- Costs vary depending on how much involvement you want from your architect, the development size and location, and the complexity of the build.
- Focus on ensuring your architect focuses on delivering against their area of specific expertise and free up your time to focus on profit and cost
- Building trade website CheckaaTrade
Subscribe to gain instant
access to this article
Create a free LDS account to continue reading this article
and gain full access to Boost.
Transforming development finance
for housebuilders, lenders and brokers